Accommodations for Entrance Exams. . .


Getting accommodations from the College Board (which administers the SAT, AP exams and others) or from any other standardized testing or professional licensing boards, is even more difficult, and is governed by a whole different set of laws, than getting accommodations in public grade school. When a parent of a disabled child come to me for help getting accommodations on these exams, here are some of the key questions I ask (none of which are determinative in and of themselves): 1.  When was your child diagnosed with a disability? 2.  Has your child been getting accommodations for tests in school? 3.  [...]

Accommodations for Entrance Exams. . .2008-12-02T12:09:57+00:00

How Do I Know if My Child Needs Accommodations?


If your child is capable of learning and demonstrating his knowledge, but not in the same way, at the same rate or under the same conditions as his or her typical peers,* your child may be legally entitled to accommodations.  The first step is to find out if he or she has a disability usually by getting a psycho-educational evaluation (i.e., a set of standardized tests given by a psychologist who can determine if a student has learning difficulties or not).  If your son or daughter is a public grade school student, and you or the teacher believes they may be [...]

How Do I Know if My Child Needs Accommodations?2008-12-02T12:06:01+00:00